Wellness and Weight Loss
There is no miracle cure for weight loss. Everything you hear about commitment to nutrition, exercise and life-style changes is true; without them, any quick and easy weight loss “solution” is temporary at best. But a committed person, one who is inspired to lose weight not only for their appearance but also for their health, can use acupuncture to help them begin, achieve and maintain their weight loss goals. If you are ready to begin losing weight or have been trying to lose weight and are having difficulty, acupuncture can be a valuable adjunct therapy to your weight loss program.
In a recent study, acupuncture helped promote weight loss. 20 women between the ages of 22 and 42, all with BMI (Body Mass Index) higher than 27, were divided into 2 groups. The group of women who followed a regimen of a 2,000 calorie per day diet, daily exercise and weekly ear acupuncture treatments lost on average more than twice as much weight as those who only dieted and exercised, even if they did not comply exactly with the treatment plan.
How does Acupuncture Help?
It is important to address both the physiological and psychological aspects of weight loss. Since Acupuncture treats the physical, mental and emotional components to any illness, there are several ways that they can benefit you while you are trying to lose weight.
1) Regulates Metabolism: Acupuncture also helps to regulate metabolism. A history of irregular eating, overeating and even thyroid dysfunction all contribute to a slow metabolism. Acupuncture can help to increase metabolism by stimulating the thyroid and endocrine glands as your body adjusts to the changes in your diet and exercise. Affecting the endocrine system also helps to stabilize blood sugar levels.
2) Stops Food Cravings: Regular acupuncture treatments can help curb food cravings, just as it has been proven to help cravings for other addictive substances like tobacco and alcohol. Support from acupuncture helps to eliminate cravings and increases the will power to overcome them.
3) Benefits Digestion: Over time, things like crash diets, irregular eating habits and excessive greasy or fattening foods all take their toll on the digestion. Chronic symptoms such as bloating, gas, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea are all signs that the digestive system is out of balance. Acupuncture can help to harmonize the digestive organs so that you are symptom-free. Proper digestion ensures that you are getting the nutrients you need from your food so you feel less hungry.
4) Calming and Relaxing: When acupuncture needles are inserted into specific points on the body and in the ear it stimulates the release of endorphins. Endorphins have a calming and relaxing effect on the body. Naturally releasing endorphins makes it easier to deal with stress, frustration and anxiety which can be triggers for emotional eating, overeating and bingeing on fattening foods.
5) Cleansing: Acupuncture treatments during weight loss help to cleanse your system. Toxins that have been built up over time from excess weight and adipose tissue can cause symptoms such as fatigue, acne and depression. These can be relieved or eliminated with acupuncture, whether or not you are trying to lose weight.
What about Nutrition and Lifestyle?
You will have an opportunity to talk about your diet and lifestyle choices without feeling judged or blamed. Together we will work out a plan that helps to target your main concerns, and strategize action steps to help you meet your goals.
How Many Treatments will I Need?
The number of acupuncture treatments necessary depends on the patient’s goals for losing weight, the speed at which they want to lose, and their commitment to a new, healthier lifestyle. In general, in the beginning it is important to come for consistent weekly or bi-weekly treatments to help get you started. Once you are feeling comfortable with your new weight loss plan, the number of treatments will decrease anywhere from one to two visits a month. When you have reached your weight loss goals, you need only come four times a year, when the seasons change, to keep your system balanced and healthy.
It is important to keep in mind the benefits of having a trained professional to assist you during your weight loss process. It is helpful to have someone help monitor your symptoms during weight loss, and your acupuncturist is someone who can help treat any adverse symptoms as your body’s natural rhythms are restored. Using acupuncture can be a wonderful way to assist you on your goals toward better health and losing weight. Together, you and your acupuncturist can help you set your weight loss goals and achieve them.